Saturday, February 12, 2011

Top Ten David Bowie Albums UPDATED


So I've been on a huge Bowie binge of late, and whenever I am binging on something musical, it usually winds up culuminating in some sort of list. This recent Bowie binge led me to converse with other, like minded individuals, and so at the request of my good friend Pete, here is my Top Ten David Bowie Albums. As an side note, I would like to say that these are my personal favorite Bowie albums, not the best per se. If you don't already have these albums, go and get them asap, they are essential to any collectioin.

Enjoy.

My Top Ten Favorite David Bowie Albums

10. Young Americans - Fake plastic soul never sounded so real.

09.
Let's Dance - I am not too cool to admit that this is a great pop record, featuring the guitar work of a young Stevie Ray Vaughn. And Modern Love might be the best single Bowie ever released (other than Under Pressure, though that is disqualified due to the fact that it is a collaboration with Queen).

08.
Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) - for Ashes To Ashes alone. In some ways I believe that Ashes To Ashes is the perfect David Bowie song - let me explain. If I had to choose one song that most embodied who Bowie is as a musician/artist/songwriter, I would select this song, as it is sonically groundbreaking, features an invented character, and feels both cold and Eastern European while simultaneously being poppy enough to dance to.

07.
The Man Who Sold The World - One of my favorite album openers of all time - The Width of a Circle - which I have a theory that Radiohead built Paranoid Android around an identical structure. This is one of my best music theories -listen to them side by side and then make your own judgment. I'd love Chuck Klosterman to test this theory.

06.
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - Sounds like a Greatest Hits collection. The final word on Glam Rock.

05.
Heroes - For the immortal title track, which is one of the greatest songs ever recorded.

04.
Aladdin Sane - Meaner and rawer than it's predecessor (#5). The production is peerless.

03.
Hunky Dory - I love the sound of this period, and from track to track you can here so many artists entire careers that came after in this.

02.
Station To Station - An underrated masterpiece, as I have discussed previously.

01.
Low - My favorite album of the Berlin Trilogy, Bowie literally invents whole genres of music here. Synthetic and heart wrenching, cerebral and visceral - an album rife with beautiful contradictions.