Friday, May 15, 2009

Cormac McCarthy's The Road Looks Interesting



I have an odd weakness for post-apocalyptic films. You know, like the awesome Children of Men, The Road Warrior trilogy, etc. I don't know what it is that I find so interesting about them, but they always get my attention.

Children of Men truly is one of the most thought provoking films of the decade. An A-List cast (Clive Owen, Danny Huston, Michael Caine) combined with one of my favorite contemporary directors (Alphonso Cuaron) and a brilliant script come together to form a cohesive, aesthetic feast that kept the heart pumping and the brain turning from the opening frame until the last moment. Children of Men is that rare film that pulls you in and never lets go, staying with you long after it ends.

Cormac McCarthy's The Road finally has been come to the screen, and stars the underated Viggo Mortenson. Based on the trailer I am excited, even though the CGI looks very, very suspect. Take a look for yourself and see what you think.