Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Camus and These Covers Are Awesome

When I was an angry young man studying literature at the University of Cambridge, I would walk the ancient streets late at night, with my discman (yep, I'm that old) turned up to 10, playing A Design For Life by the Manic Street Preachers over and over and over. There was a particular night there, and I don't know exactly why, but I lost something. I've never been able to really describe or understand it, but I lost some strange innocence about myself. I seemed to care less, or become just really weary. It was very bizarre feeling that I will never forget.

Anyway, this was my soundtrack at the time, and I kept read The Stranger by Albert Camus. I felt like him, the stranger, lost and anonymous in a world I didn't totally understand. I had read that book several years earlier, but it was then, in that place that I felt a greater understanding of it. I drifted up to Scotland on a train on my own, walked another city streets, silent and alone, taking it all in. These were very formative experiences for me

Anyway, these great book covers have been released for several Camus novels. They are kinetic and high contrast, which are a couple of aesthetic aspects I enjoy.