Saturday, December 6, 2008

Videos of the Week: Double Shot of Morrissey

It is no secret that I am a psychotically huge Morrissey fan. That's right, to those of you who don't know who Morrissey is (or Moz as his fans sometime refer to him), he was the lead singer of The Smiths, one of the top ten bands of all time. If you don't own every Smiths record, then your collection is incomplete.

Anyway, Morrissey is one of the artists that I feel "close" to - like a good friend, Morrissey has always been there for me (yes, I know how that sounds). I literally could write all day long about Moz and his influence on my life and work, but instead I would rather show a couple of my favorite Moz videos - early nineties clips for My Love Life and Tomorrow. I chose these two videos because they are very different from many videos, as both feature black and white, straight forward shots that follow Morrissey as he moves (in a car in My Love Life, walking towards the camera in Tomorrow).



The early/mid nineties were an interesting time for Morrissey, as America shifted from 80's Hair Bands to 90's Grunge, and the Brits went from Baggy/Madchester to BritPop. Moz, as usual, didn't fit into any of these categories, but his small but loyal folowing stuck to him as always. But Moz made some of his best albums during this period - Your Arsenal, Vauxhall & I, Maladjusted - before taking several years off from the public eye. "My Love Life" was a single not included on a full album, while "Tomorrow" was one of many fantastic tracks on the 1992 Mick Ronson produced "Your Arsenal".