Monday, April 14, 2008

Brief Division Statement

Brief Division Artist Statement

Having been born and raised in the magnificent, post-industrial city of Saginaw, Michigan, I am interested in the notion of deterioration and urban decomposition. Much of my work for the past several years has concerned the interior landscape, the psychological effects of time on the individual; a corrosion of the mind.

These works depict landscapes of imagined, indistinct locations. I am fascinated by invented narratives, and these images were created by attempting to recall places that I have and have not encountered – a travelogue of unexperienced memories. In this way the pieces selected for the Brief Division exhibition are an extension of my previous psychological explorations - these examinations have led to two different tracks of work – Leviathan and Fake Empire.